How to create an out of office reply in Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook has a feature known as Automatic Replies (Out of Office). This feature enables a user to have e-mail automatically responded to when out of the office, regardless if your computer is on or off. You can find this feature under the File tab in Microsoft Outlook.
Unfortunately, this feature requires that your e-mail server be running on Microsoft Exchange to work. Therefore, if your server is not running Microsoft Exchange, this option will not be available to use.
Follow the steps below to set up your out of office message.
- On the File tab, click the Automatic Replies (Out of Office) option.
- On the Automatic Replies window, select the Send Automatic Replies option.
- If you want your out of office message to only be sent for a specific period of time, check the box for Only send during this time range. Then select the Start time and End time for the out of office message to be sent.
- Enter the message you want to be sent in the bottom half of the Automatic Replies window.
- Click Ok to save the message and out of office settings.
Tip: If you want to create rules for how some messages are handled while out of the office, click the Rules button on the Automatic Replies window.
- How can I retrieve my e-mail when away from home or work?
- See our Outlook definition for further information and related links on this term.