How to tell if my computer has a microphone
When referring to computer microphones, there are two varieties: external or internal. An external mic is a peripheral outside your computer, such as a desktop device (shown right), or as part of a headset. Essentially, if you do not have one of these devices attached to your sound card or USB port, you don't have an external mic.
Internal microphones, as the name implies, are built into the body of a laptop, or the bezel of a computer monitor or laptop screen. You can find them by physically examining the hardware and looking for a few small holes that are close to one another. However, we find it easiest to confirm with software. To proceed, select your operating system from the list below and follow the instructions.
Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, and 11
The information in this section helps you determine if you have an internal or external microphone on a Windows-based PC.
Or, open the Windows 10 Start menu, and select Windows System > Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound.
If you use the Large icons or Small icons view instead of the Category view in Control Panel, click the Sound option and skip to step 4.
- Click the Hardware and Sound option in the left navigation menu, then click Manage audio devices near the center-right portion of the screen.
- At the top of the window that appears, click the Recording tab. If you have an internal or external microphone, it displays in the middle section.
- If you have more than one input device, you can switch to another by selecting it, and then clicking the and buttons.
- In the menu bar, click the Apple icon to open the Apple menu, and choose System Preferences.
- Click the Sound icon in the System Preferences window.
- In the Sound menu, click the Input tab. If you have an internal or external microphone, it displays in the middle section.
- If you have more than one input device (microphone), you may change between them by clicking a different device.
Smartphones and tablets
All smartphones and tablets come equipped with a microphone or device capable of recording a voice and is enabled by default. On the latest versions of iOS and Android, a small indicator appears whenever an application is accessing the microphone.
Microphone permissions can be changed in the Permissions section inside your Settings app.