How do I create forums for my web page?
With the wide availability of free forums and low-cost forums, we suggest looking at what is available on the Internet before trying to create forum software from scratch. Below is a short listing of some of the more popular and widely used forums on the Internet.
- Simple Machines - Fantastic free forum system that Computer Hope forums are currently using. If your server supports PHP and MySQL, this is a great solution.
- YaBB - Short for Yet another Bulletin Board, YaBB is great, free, open-source forum software that is easy to use and install. Computer Hope initially used YaBB to power its primary forum.
- phpBB - Another excellent PHP bulletin board that is also widely used.
- vBulletin - Another great and powerful forum program that requires a small license fee to use.
- Forumotion - If setting up a forum sounds too involved, consider Forumotion who will host and maintain a forum for you.
- Search for others - Click here to search for other free bulletin board solutions.
If you are interested in installing and setting up a forum, we suggest you refer to the company's website for additional setup information and help if you encounter problems.
The above forums and bulletin boards must be installed and set up on a web server that you control. There are web hosting and ISPs, as well as third-party companies, that will set up and run your forum for you. If you're hosting your website through another company, look at their available options and free scripts; often, most offer a free forum that you can enable on their server.
If your web host does not offer a free forum solution, or is incapable of supporting a forum, you might want to consider using a third-party site. Examples of third-party forum hosts include bestfreeforums, Yuku, and Forumotion.