How to restore a ChromeOS computer to factory settings
Sometimes, users no longer need their ChromeOS (operating system) device, or would like to upgrade to a computer with an operating system that utilizes other programs. To sell your Chromebook or Chromebox, give it to someone else, or need to fix substantial errors, a factory reset is quite helpful.
How to restore factory settings
- Turn on your Chromebook and log in to your Google Account.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click the notification area.
- Click the settings icon from the pop-up menu.
- In the window that appears, on the left side, click the Advanced button to expand the menu, and click the Developers selector.
- In the center of the Developers section, under Reset settings, click the Reset button next to Powerwash.
- Click the button on the prompt.
- When your Chromebook restarts, select Powerwash and then Continue.
Alternative way to reset a Chromebook
If the above steps did not help or you cannot access the above settings try the following steps.