How to restore a Chrome OS computer back to factory settings
Sometimes, users no longer need their Chrome OS device, or would like to upgrade to a computer with an operating system that can utilize full software programs. If you're looking to sell your Chromebook or Chromebox, give it to someone else, or need to fix substantial errors, a factory reset is quite helpful.
How to restore factory settings
- Turn on your Chromebook and log into your Google Account.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click on your portrait and then the settings icon.
- In the settings menu, scroll to the bottom and click the button.
- In the expanded settings menu, scroll to the bottom again, locate the Reset section, and select Powerwash.
- Click the button on the prompt that appears.
- When your Chromebook restarts, select Powerwash and then Continue.
- See our Chromebook definition for further information and related links.
- How to set the desktop background on Chrome OS.
- How to add and remove shortcuts on the Chrome OS shelf.
- How to shut down a Chromebook.
- Chromebook and Chrome OS help and support.