How to restore a Chromebook back to factory settings
Sometimes, users no longer need their Chromebook or would like to upgrade to a computer with an operating system that can utilize full software programs. If you're looking to sell your Chromebook, give it to someone else, or need to fix substantial errors, a factory reset is quite helpful.
How to restore factory settings
- Turn on your Chromebook and log into your Google Account.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click on your portrait and then the settings icon.
- In the settings menu, scroll to the bottom and click the button.
- In the expanded settings menu, scroll to the bottom again, locate the Reset section, and select Powerwash.
- Click the button on the prompt that appears.
- When your computer restarts, select Powerwash and then Continue.
- How to set the desktop background on a Chromebook.
- How to add and remove shortcuts on the Chromebook shelf.
- How to shut down a Chromebook.
- Chromebook help and support.
- See our Chromebook definition for further information and related links.