How to restore a Chrome OS computer back to factory settings
Sometimes, users no longer need their Chrome OS device, or would like to upgrade to a computer with an operating system that utilizes full software programs. If you're looking to sell your Chromebook or Chromebox, give it to someone else, or need to fix substantial errors, a factory reset is quite helpful.
How to restore factory settings
- Turn on your Chromebook and log into your Google Account.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click your portrait and then the settings icon.
- In the settings menu, scroll to the bottom and click the button.
- In the expanded settings menu, scroll to the bottom again, locate the Reset section, and select Powerwash.
- Click the button on the prompt that appears.
- When your Chromebook restarts, select Powerwash and then Continue.
- How to set the desktop background on Chrome OS.
- How to add and remove shortcuts on the Chrome OS shelf.
- How to shut down a computer.
- See our Chromebook definition for further information and related links.
- Chrome OS help and support.