How to copy a web page link or URL
Duplicating the linking address (URL) of the web page you are viewing can be achieved by highlighting and copying the text in the address bar, and then pasting it into another program (e.g., e-mail). Below are other ways to go about this process.
Copying an address (URL) using a keyboard and mouse
- Highlight the address by moving your mouse cursor over the address bar and clicking the left mouse button once or press the F6 keyboard shortcut to get into the address bar.
- After the address has been highlighted, press Ctrl+C or Cmd+C on the keyboard to copy it. You can also right-click any highlighted section and choose Copy from the drop-down menu.
- Once the address is copied, paste that address into another program by clicking a blank field and pressing Ctrl+V or Cmd+V. You may also right-click any highlighted section and choose Paste from the drop-down menu.
Tip: Many web pages, including Computer Hope, have a Share or E-Mail link that allows you to share it with friends.
Practice pasting URL
You can practice copying and pasting the URL of this page by following the above steps and then pasting the URL into the text box, below.
If done properly you should have "https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000867.htm" on the above box.
Copying an address on a mobile device
- Open your preferred mobile Internet browser.
- Locate the address link you would like to copy.
Note: If the address bar is not visible, try scrolling up using your finger.
- Tap the address bar once to highlight all of the text contained within it.
- Long press the highlighted text and select Copy.
- On smaller devices, the symbol for copying text looks like two identical pieces of paper.
- Open the app where you would like to paste the address.
- Long press again and select Paste.
Practice pasting URL
You can practice copying and pasting the URL of this page by following the above steps and then pasting the URL into the below text box below.
If done properly, you should have https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000867.htm in the above box.
Copying a YouTube video link on website and app
Tip: You can also use the how to copy a URL on a computer and how to copy a URL on a mobile device mentioned above to copy a YouTube video link. We're including the steps below as an alternative method of copying a video link.
On the desktop and mobile you can click the share icon that should resemble the share icon shown in the picture below. Once you click the share link, in addition to the social networking services you should see the URL of the video that can be copied and pasted anywhere.
Shortening a long address or URL
Some web pages may have a long URL that can present problems when it is pasted into another program, especially an e-mail. If the link you are interested in is long (more than 60 characters), copy and paste the URL into a web page that creates a short link. Our favorite short link service is Tiny URL.
Tip: There are also many browser add-ons that you can utilize to make copying long addresses easier.
Copying a link or image within a page
To copy the address to a link or image within a web page, right-click the link or image and select Copy link address or Copy image from the drop-down menu that appears. Alternatively, users may view the properties of the link and copy the URL from within that menu.