How do I determine the version of a driver in Windows?
Microsoft Windows users can determine the version and date of their drivers by following the steps below.
- Open Windows Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, locate and double-click the device you want to view the version. Note: you need to click the '+' next to the device type before viewing the device. For example, to view the video card you would click the '+' next to Display adapters and double-click the video card beneath it.
- In the device Properties window, click the Driver tab.
- In the Driver tab, the Driver Provider, Driver Date, and Driver Version of that device.
Looking at the Driver Date is a good first indication of whether or not you have an up-to-date driver. If you see that the driver is more than 1-2 years old checking to see if there is a later version of the driver is a good idea. Once you have visited the hardware manufacturer driver page, you can determine if you have the latest driver by comparing the version available on the site with the version on your computer.
- A listing of links to manufacturers driver pages can be found through our computer drivers section.
- How do I install a computer driver?
- How to roll back a Windows driver to the previous version.
- See the driver definition for further information and related links.
- Computer drivers and driver help and support.