Removing the shadows under the text on Windows XP desktop icons?
Windows XP desktop icons labels have a drop shadow effect that help improve the overall visibility of an icon. Unfortunately, like the example image shown to the right, when the Desktop is the same color as the icon text it makes it extremely difficult to read. Below are the steps required for disabling this feature in Windows XP.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Double-click on the System icon.
- In the System Properties window click the Advanced tab.
- In Advanced click the Settings button under the Performance section.
- In the Performance Options window scroll down to Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop and uncheck the option, and then click Ok.
- Right-click on your desktop and select Arrange icons by in the drop-down menu that appears.
- Make sure the box next to Lock web items on Desktop is not checked.
- Once you've completed these steps, you should no longer have the drop shadow.
- How can I change the text color of my icons in Windows?
- See our drop shadow and icon definitions for further information and related links on these terms.