How do I make the Windows My Computer icon the first icon?
By default, Microsoft Windows XP will place the My Documents folder as the first icon on the desktop. Users who don't use My Documents or are used to previous versions of Microsoft Windows may want to have the My Computer icon as their first icon instead. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Download and install TweakUI onto the computer.
- Once installed, open TweakUI.
- In TweakUI, click the + next to Desktop and select First Icon.
- Select My Computer to be the first icon, and click OK.
Alternatively, if you never use the My Documents folder or never find yourself opening it, you can also remove this icon from the desktop. In TweakUI, un-check My Documents under the Desktop category. Doing so will make the My Computer icon as the first icon.
- How to set up Windows XP to look like previous versions of Windows.
- See the My Computer and My Documents definitions for related information.
- Microsoft Windows help and support.