How to determine the version of Windows on a computer.
Note: You must be logged into Windows to utilize any of these methods.
All users who are using Microsoft Windows can find what version of Windows they're using by following the steps below.
Tip: See our Windows definition for information about Microsoft Windows including all versions of Windows and the history of Windows.
Determine version with latest Windows
Latest versions of Windows
- Go to the Windows desktop screen.
- Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.
- Type winver in the text field and press Enter.
Windows 7 and earlier
- Click the Start button, usually found in the lower left corner of the main desktop screen.
- Click the Run or Search field, type winver, and press Enter.
An About Windows window will open and display the version of Microsoft Windows, the build info, and service pack information, if any service pack is installed. Below is an image and example of this window.
Windows 7 Windows Version window
Below are some additional methods of determining the version of Windows.
Windows 8 and 10
- Go to the Windows Start screen.
- Type about your PC and select the About Your PC option.
Windows 7 and earlier
- Right-click on My Computer on the Windows desktop or in the Start Menu.
- Select the Properties option.
- In the System Properties window, as shown below, the version of Windows and the Service Pack (if installed) is displayed.
Tip: On the System Properties window, under the System section, look for the System type entry to see if the version of Windows on your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Windows 7 System Properties
- Open an MS-DOS command prompt.
- Type ver and press Enter.
Note: Doing the above method may not always work and is dependent on the version of Windows you're running. In some cases, it may display Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000] or something similar, which is the command prompt version. However, some versions of Windows, such as Windows XP, display the Windows version.
Windows on mobile devices
- Click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
- Click the Systems icon. In the System Properties, you'll see the version of Windows CE and the build.