How do I change the Recycle Bin icon?
The icon for the Recycle Bin in Microsoft Windows has always been an image of a basic trash can, either full or empty. However, you may change the Recycle Bin icon to something else you prefer. To proceed, select the version of Windows on your computer from the list below and follow the instructions.
Windows Vista and later
Microsoft Windows Vista and later users can change the Recycle Bin icon by following the steps below.
- On the Windows desktop, right-click on an empty area and select Personalize from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the Settings window, click the Themes option in the left navigation pane.
- With Themes selected, scroll down to the bottom of the Settings window. Under the Related Settings section, click the Desktop icon settings link.
- In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select either the "Recycle Bin (full)" or "Recycle Bin (empty)" icon and click the Change Icon button.
- Select an icon from the list of available icons, or click Browse and select an icon file on your computer. Click OK on each open window to save the icon change.
Microsoft Windows XP users can change the Recycle Bin icon by following the steps below.