How to add or remove a shortcut on the Windows taskbar
With the introduction of Windows 7, you can pin a program to the Windows taskbar. Pinning creates a shortcut to a program that allows the user to open that program from the taskbar using a mouse or shortcut keys. This feature is beneficial because you don't have to minimize all of your windows like you would to use a desktop shortcut.
Quick Launch is a feature that was included with Windows 98 up through Windows Vista. It works the same way as pinning. Locate your version of Windows below and follow the steps.
Windows 7, 8, and 10
Pin from Start Menu
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu. You should see a menu similar to the one below:
- Scroll down the apps list to find the program you'd like to pin.
- Once you located the icon, right-click it, then move your cursor over More and select Pin to taskbar.
- When you're done, you should see the program's shortcut just to the right of the search bar.
Drag and drop a shortcut
Removing shortcuts from the taskbar
- Right-click any shortcut icon on the taskbar.
- Select Unpin from taskbar.
Note: The exact Unpin option text will differ depending on the location of the pinned item. For example, if a program is pinned to the taskbar, the option will be named Unpin from taskbar.
Windows 98, 2000, XP, and Vista
Adding a program to Quick Launch
- Right-click on an empty portion of the Quick Launch tray, and then select Open folder to display the icons stored in the Quick Launch directory.
- Once the Quick Launch folder is open, create new shortcuts in it, or you may drag and drop existing ones.
Adding shortcuts to Quick Launch
Removing shortcuts from Quick Launch
To remove icons from Quick Launch, right-click the icon you want to delete, and then select Delete.
- How do I enable, disable, or adjust the Windows Quick Launch?
- Issues and questions related to the Windows Taskbar
- How to keep the Windows Taskbar hidden.
- See the Quick Launch definition for further information and related links.
- Microsoft Windows help and support.