Determining what service pack I have installed in Windows
To see the Service Pack that is installed for Windows on your computer, follow the steps below.
- Right-click My Computer, found on the Windows Desktop or in the Start Menu.
- Select Properties in the popup menu.
- In the System Properties window, under the General tab, you will see the version of Windows, as well as the currently installed Windows Service Pack.
The picture below is an example of what this screen may look like in Microsoft Windows 7. In this example, Service Pack 1 is currently installed.
Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 1
- Click the Start button.
- In the Search text box, type winver and press Enter. Running this command gives you a window similar to the example below, which as can be seen contains the full version information including Service Pack.
Tip: In Windows 10, you can type winver in the Search text box on the Windows taskbar, located next to the Start button.
Windows XP Windows Version window
- See the service pack definition for further information and related links.
- How to determine what version of Microsoft Windows you are using.