Windows cannot read from source file or disk error
Updated: 01/24/2018 by Computer Hope
This error message occurs when the folder or files in the folder are locked because of Windows or another program running in Windows. To successfully delete this file, try following the steps below.
- Wait a minute and try deleting the file again. Sometimes Windows or the program using the file may still be closing and therefore still using the file you're attempting to delete.
- Close the Explorer window and re-open.
- Locate the program using the file and close it. If you're uncertain what program is using the file, close all programs until you're able to delete the file.
- Try using unlocker, a free software program designed to unlock any file being used by Windows or other programs without restarting the computer.
- Reboot the computer. If after closing all programs, you're still unable to delete the file, it's likely that something in the background is still using the file.
- If after rebooting the computer, you're still unable to delete the file, boot the computer into Safe Mode and delete the file.