How do I remove the battery from my laptop computer?
Read First: All laptops are different, however, they usually share similarities when it comes to taking out the main battery. That being said, all of the newer MacBooks from Apple use integrated batteries that require service to remove.
If you are using a Windows or Linux based laptop, this page provides a general idea on how to remove the laptop battery. If you are replacing a laptop battery, you can insert the new battery after removing the old battery.
Note: Many ultrabook laptops have batteries that are not accessible from the outside of the laptop. Removing the battery will require the help of a repair technician to open the laptop.
Removing the battery
- If your laptop is plugged in, either unplug it or disconnect the power cable.
- Turn your laptop over so the bottom is facing up.
- Locate the battery latch on the bottom of the computer. The image to the right shows some of the more common battery latches found on laptops.
- To remove the battery, slide the latch switch to the opposite side and hold it in that position until the battery is released.
- On some laptops, the battery pops out on its own. On others, you'll need to pull it out gently with the tips of your fingers.
Although most laptops only have one latch, there are some that require you to slide two latches to remove the battery. On these laptops, the latches will still look similar to the examples above, but require you to move both at the same time, usually towards each other.
Finally, there are also some older laptops (IBM laptops) that require the latch to be pulled out and then pushed towards the battery.
No battery latch found
If you cannot find any battery latches or buttons for releasing the battery on the bottom of the laptop, it is possible the laptop utilizes a different mechanism to release the battery. The laptop may also need to be serviced by a licensed repair facility to have the battery removed through partial or full disassembly.
We recommend referring to the laptop documentation or check the manufacturer's website for steps on how to remove the battery or if servicing is required to remove the battery.
- Should I remove my laptop battery when using the AC adapter?
- See our battery definition for further information and related links.
- Computer and laptop battery help and support.