How to check the ink or toner levels on my printer
On this page, we list the most common methods for checking the ink or toner level to see how much is left in your printer's cartridge. To proceed, select an option from the list below and follow the instructions.
View printer ink or toner levels in Windows
On a Windows computer, there are two main methods for checking your printer's ink or toner levels. Select the desired method below and follow the steps.
From the Notification Area icon
You must have the printer software installed on your computer for these steps to work. As every printer is different, these instructions are meant as a general guideline.
- Turn on the printer.
- On your computer, in the Windows Notification Area (bottom-right corner of your Windows desktop), right-click the printer icon.
- In the printer menu, select the Properties or Preferences option.
- In the printer settings window, the ink or toner levels are displayed for the currently-installed cartridge(s).
- If you don't see the ink or toner levels in the settings window, look for and click the button or option labeled Ink Levels, Toner Levels, or something similar.
Below are two examples of how the ink or toner level screen may look.
HP Photosmart 7900 available ink example.
Samsung laser printer available toner example.
Through the Control Panel
The following steps work for most printers. However, if the printer software is not installed, you cannot view the ink or toner levels.
- Turn on the printer.
- On your computer, press the Windows key, type Control Panel, and then press Enter. Or, open the Start menu, and click Windows System, Control Panel.
- Under Hardware and Sound, click View devices and printers.
If your Control Panel is set to the Small icons or Large icons view option, click the Devices and Printers icon.
- Double-click the printer that you want to check the ink or toner levels.
- The levels are often shown under the Status section.
In step 4, depending on the printer brand and software, you may need to right-click the printer and select the Properties or Preferences option to find ink or toner levels.
View printer ink or toner levels in macOS
The following steps work for most printers. However, if the printer software is not installed, you may not be able to view the ink or toner levels.
- Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of the screen and select System Preferences. Or, click the System Preferences icon in the Dock.
- In the System Preferences window, click the Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax icon.
- Select your printer on the left side of the printers window.
- On the right side of the printers window, click the Options & Supplies button.
- Depending on the brand and type of printer, finding and viewing the ink or toner levels is usually done with one of the following methods.
- A window opens with several tabs at the top. One of the tabs, possibly named Supply Levels or similar, displays the ink or toner levels.
- Click a Supplies, Utilities, or similar button. You may need to click a subsequent button, like Open Printer Utility or similar, on the next screen to find the ink or toner levels.
View printer ink or toner levels on the printer LCD screen
Keep in mind that every printer is different, and the following steps are generalized. For explicit instructions on checking ink or toner levels, consult your printer's documentation.
- Turn on your printer.
- Locate the Menu or Home button on the printer and use the appropriate navigation keys to find a status, settings, or reports section.
Some newer printers may have an icon on the LCD screen that looks like a drop of ink. Tapping that ink drop icon displays the ink or toner levels.
- The ink or toner levels are often displayed on the printer's LCD screen. If not displayed on the LCD screen, you may need to print a System Data or System Status page to see current ink or toner levels.
Depending on the printer brand and model, in step 2, you may need to navigate further to an ink or toner levels section.