Can a thumb drive be infected with a virus?
Yes. Anything that is connected to your computer that is writable, including a thumb drive, can be infected with a virus or other malware. These type of media are capable of spreading the virus to alternative drives.
If a flash drive was to become infected with a virus, most of the time it means when that drive is connected to a computer, said computer would become infected with the virus as well.
If you are running an antivirus program on your computer, it should it detect the virus before it is transferred to your machine from the thumb drive. If you are concerned that a thumb drive is infected, it can be scanned for viruses like any drive on your computer.
- How do I remove a virus from my computer?
- How does a computer get infected with a virus or spyware?
- How to block USB drives and other flash memory devices.
- See the thumb or jump drive definition for further information related links.
- Computer virus help and support.