Can you clean a computer keyboard in a dishwasher?
Yes, a computer keyboard can be cleaned in a dishwasher. However, we are unaware of any manufacturer that recommends this method as the way to clean their keyboard.
Cleaning a keyboard this way will void any warranty on the keyboard and may even damage or destroy the keyboard. We would only recommend this if you have already tried cleaning the keyboard the traditional way or have spilled a drink into it.
Finally, this suggestion is only for a standard keyboards. Do not do this with a laptop, laptop keyboard, or other electronics.
You must follow the steps below if you want to have the best outcome when cleaning your keyboard in the dishwasher.
- Make sure you've got a spare keyboard. You must wait at least a week (7 days) before the keyboard can be used again after it's been washed. Therefore unless you do not plan on using your computer for a week, you'll need a spare.
- Do not use any dish soap.
- If you're using a wireless keyboard, remove the batteries.
- If your dishwasher has multiple settings, make sure it's a rinse only. Do not use a heavy wash, pots, and pan setting, or any heated drying settings. Any extensive heat will destroy the keyboard.
- Wash the keyboard on the top rack only.
- Do not put anything else in the dishwasher except the keyboard.
- Only try this if your computer keyboard is plastic.
- If you want a more extensive clean under the keys, remove each of the keys and wash the keyboard only.
After the keyboard is washed, shake it to allow excessive water to drain out. Then tip the keyboard upside down so it is laying on the keys, and let the keyboard dry for seven days.