Restore Windows system settings from the recovery console
Updated: 01/05/2018 by Computer Hope
- Boot from the Windows XP CD or Windows Recovery CD.
- Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.
- If prompted to select the installation of Windows press 1 and press enter.
- If prompted for a password enter your administrator password.
- At the C:\Windows> prompt type: cd system32\config
- Once in this directory type: ren system system.bak
- Once the file has been renamed type: cd \
- At the C:\> prompt type: cd system~1
* If you get an "Access Denied" error, type exit and let the system reboot and try getting into this directory again by starting over at step number 7 after getting back to the prompt.
- In the system~1 directory type: cd _resto~1
- In the cd_resto~1 directory type dir
* If available this will list each of the Restore Point folders. They will be named rpX, where X is a number. The highest number will be the latest restore point and the lowest the oldest restore. Pick the earliest restore point, for example, if you have RP1 through RP7 go into the RP1 directory.
- Go into the RP directory you want to restore, by typing: cd rpX
*where X is the number of the RP you saw in step 10.
- In the RP directory type: cd snapshot
- Finally type: Copy _registry_machine_system C:\Windows\system32\config\system
- After the file has copied successfully, type exit and let the computer reboot normally to see if this resolves you issue.