Can I build my own laptop computer?
Building a laptop computer is possible, however, it is generally recommended you purchase a prebuilt machine with custom upgrades to suit your needs. The logic behind this recommendation is because building a laptop is more difficult than building a desktop computer for many reasons.
Why avoid building a laptop?
- Many of the parts in a laptop are proprietary, making for distinct and oftentimes insurmountable difficulties with respect to compatibility.
- Although some parts (e.g., RAM and hard drives) are interchangeable, other parts like motherboards, laptop cases, screens, video cards, network cards, are harder to find for general purchase.
- Most large retailers do not carry laptop parts, so they usually need to be purchased online.
- Laptop computer requires more electronics knowledge than desktops do as they have less plug and play parts.
- Access to laptop parts for consumers may require a license or a special account.