How do I convert a picture to JPG or another image type?
With the variety of image formats out there including JPG, GIF, PNG, TIF, and BMP to name a few, it helps to be able to change between them. Whether you are a digital photographer or a curious user, there are a few options you may use to convert your images. We have listed our favorites below. To proceed, you may read through each section in order, or select your method based on heading.
Note: When you save an image with a different file extension, you may lose some quality due to the limitations of the new file type.
One of the most straightforward and quick ways to change an image's file format is to use an online converter.
- Locate the image converting website of your choice. We like Online-Convert.
- From the menu on the left-hand side, select the file format to which you would like the image converted.
- Click the Choose Files button, enter an image URL, or click the Choose from Dropbox button.
- Select any Optional Settings and then click the Convert file button.
- Read through the You now have the following options: section.
Using a photo editor
Although photo editing programs like Adobe Photoshop can be daunting and expensive, a simple, free photo editor will work perfectly for converting images to different formats. Microsoft Windows includes the program Paint, and Mac users may use the Preview program.
Tip: Mac users who are familiar with Microsoft Paint may find the Paintbrush program helpful, as it is quite similar. The image conversion steps are the same as the Converting in Windows section.
Converting in Windows
- Open the photo in Microsoft Paint.
- Click the File Menu button in the in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Save As from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the box next to Save as type:, click the down arrow.
- Select your new file format and click Save.
Converting in macOS
- Open the photo in Preview.
- Click the File Menu in the in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Export... from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the box next to Format:, click the down arrow and select your new file format.
- Under Export as:, rename the photo as you see fit and click Save.
Tip: For many file types, Mac users can change the file name extension, and the image converts automatically.