How to save a video from Facebook to your computer
This page covers how to download videos posted on Facebook. Keep in mind that there are different types of videos that can be posted on Facebook, so click on the link for the steps appropriate to the video you are trying to download.
Note: As of January 2018, Facebook has been updated so that some or all of the methods listed below no longer work correctly. When an updated method is available, we will post it here.
Download video you posted
If you previously uploaded the video you want to download, you can download the video by following the steps below.
- Open Facebook and access the Photos section.
- Near the top of the page, below your cover photo, click the More option and select Videos.
- In the Videos section, click the Your Videos link.
- Find the video you want to download.
- Move your mouse cursor over the video, then click the Edit and Remove icon in the top right corner of the video.
- In the menu that opens, select either the Download HD or Download SD option.
Note: The Download HD option will only be available to select if the video was created or recorded in HD quality. If the video is not an HD quality video, only the Download SD option will be available.
If neither of these Download links are available, the video is not something you uploaded to Facebook. Skip to the download a video a friend or family member posted section.
Download video posted in your timeline
If the timeline video was created by a Facebook friend, skip to the next section on how to download a video a friend or family member posted. If the video is a shared video from a different online service (e.g., YouTube), see our how to download a video from the Internet steps for help with downloading Internet videos.
Download a video a friend or family member posted
Unfortunately, Facebook doesn't give an easy option to download friend and family videos. However, following the steps below allows you to download any uploaded video on Facebook without any software.
- Log in to Facebook and find the video you want to download.
- Right-click on the video and select Show video URL.
Note: If you do not see a drop-down menu appear when you right-click on the video the first time, try right-clicking a second time. The drop-down menu and Show video URL option does not always appear if you right-click on the video once only.
- A small pop-up window should appear, with the video URL. Click in that window to highlight the URL. Press Ctrl+C on the keyboard to copy the URL.
- Once the URL has been copied, paste that URL into the text box below by clicking inside the box and pressing Ctrl+V on your keyboard. Then, click the Download Video button.
Note: If the text box or Download Video button above is not visible or clickable, you can also go to https://en.savefrom.net/ and paste the copied URL into the text box on the savefrom.net page.
- On the savefrom.net page that opens, below the text box containing the Facebook video URL, click the drop-down list next to the green Download button. Select the MP4 video quality you want to download, being either MP4 HD for high definition video or MP4 SD for standard definition video.
- Click the green Download button to download the Facebook video.
After the video has been downloaded, the video file will be available in your downloads folder.