How to download a picture or video from Facebook
There are different methods for downloading pictures and videos from Facebook depending on who posted them. To proceed, make the appropriate selection from the list below and follow the instructions.
If you want to download all of the videos, pictures, and posts you've made on Facebook, see: How to download everything you've posted on Facebook.
Download a video you've posted
- Open Facebook and click the link to your profile at the top of the screen.
- On your profile page, in the top section, click More.
- At the top of the drop-down menu that appears, select Videos.
- Move your mouse cursor over the video you'd like to download, click the button, and select Download HD or Download SD.
The Download HD option is available to select only if the video was created or recorded in HD quality. If it wasn't, only the Download SD option is available.
If both options are missing, the video was uploaded by a friend and you're tagged in it. You need to follow the steps in the next section instead.
- Your video should appear in a new tab. Move your mouse over the video and click in the lower-right corner.
Download a video posted on your timeline by you or others
If you're trying to download a shared video from a different online service (e.g., YouTube), see: How to download video from the Internet.
- Log into Facebook and find the video you'd like to download.
- Click the video to make it bigger.
- Right-click the enlarged video and select Show video URL from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Highlight the entire URL and then press Ctrl+C or right-click and select Copy from the drop-down menu.
- Open a new tab by pressing Ctrl+T.
- Paste the URL into the address bar by pressing Ctrl+V, and then press Enter.
- Replace "www" or "web" with "mbasic" in the URL and then press Enter.
- On the next page, click the video to open it in its own window.
- Right-click the video and select Save video as from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Choose a save location and a file name for the video, and then click the button.
Download a photo posted by you or others
- Log into Facebook and find the photo you'd like to download.
- Click the photo so it opens in a larger screen.
- Move your mouse over the photo and then click Options (it's hard to see) near the bottom-right corner.
- Select Download from the menu that appears.
- You should now see the picture in your downloads folder.