How to deactivate a Facebook account
While Facebook is quite popular, sometimes people want to stop using their account for one reason or another. The following process will deactivate your Facebook account, which is convenient as you'll be able to return to Facebook at some point in the future if you choose to do so. To proceed, follow the steps in the section below.
Note: Deactivating your account is not the same thing as deleting your Facebook account. This process only suspends your account and does not erase it permanently.
Warning: Deactivating your account will not protect it from hackers.
Deactivating a Facebook account
- Log into your Facebook account
- Click on the Account Menu button that is located in the upper-right hand corner of the screen.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select Security in the left-hand column.
- Select Deactivate your account, and then follow the steps to complete the process.
Note: After you have completed this process, you will no longer be searchable nor visible to friends on Facebook.
- How to delete my Facebook account.
- How to block or unblock someone on Facebook.
- Delete deceased persons e-mail, Facebook, or other account.
- I forgot my Facebook password.
- How do I change my Facebook password?
- How to start, change, or stop Facebook notifications.
- How to delete a message or conversation from Facebook.
- Facebook help and support.