How to create a custom sort in Microsoft Excel
Updated: 01/24/2018 by Computer Hope
Sometimes you may need to do a sort that is not an alphabetical or ascending sort in Microsoft Excel. Below are the steps on how you can create a custom sort in Microsoft Excel to sort the data in the order you want it represented.
- Open Excel and highlight all of the data you want to be sorted. Tip: If you want the data next to the sorted data to remain in the same row, make sure you highlight everything including the column you want sorted.
- Click the Data tab and then the Sort button (shown below).
- In the Sort box (shown below) click Custom List under Order.
- In the List entries box, enter how you want the data sorted. For example, we've entered "2E, 2D, 2S, 3E, 3D, 3S, 4E, 4D, 4S" as our sort order.
- Once you've completed entering the data into List entries, click the Add button and then click Ok.
- How do I sort a list in Microsoft Excel?
- Easily sort data in Microsoft Excel by using the auto filter.
- See our sort definitions for further information and related links.
- Microsoft Excel help and support.