How to change the default language of an Internet browser
By default, the Internet browser language is regional; wherever you are in the world, your browser displays the language that is predominantly spoken there. However, some individuals speak languages in addition to their native tongue and prefer one over the other. To change the default language displayed in an Internet browser, make a selection from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the icon.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Settings.
- In the next window, scroll to the bottom and click the drop-down.
- Scroll down to the Languages section and click the down arrow on the right side of the Language option.
- In the menu that appears, click the link.
- In the next screen, click the checkbox next to one or more language(s) (A), and then click the Add button (B).
- Your newly selected languages should appear in the Language menu. To choose one, click the icon to the right of the language and check the box next to Display Google Chrome in this language.
- You can click Relaunch or close and reopen your Chrome browser to display the new language.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click the icon in the upper-left corner of the browser window.
- Select from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Under the Languages and Appearance section, click the button.
- In the window, click the arrow on the right side of the box (A) that says Select a language to add, and then click the button (B).
- Click the newly selected language (A), and then click the OK button (B).
- Restart your browser to display the new language.
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Click the Settings and more icon in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- In the drop-down menu, near the bottom, select Settings.
- On the left side of the screen, under Settings, click the Languages selector.
- Under the Languages section, click the Add languages button.
- In the prompt that appears, choose the language(s) you'd like the browser to display, and then click the Add button.
- Back in the Languages section, locate your preferred language and click the icon on the right side. Then, check the box next to Display Microsoft Edge in this language.
- Click the button or close and reopen the browser.
Microsoft Edge Legacy
As Microsoft Edge Legacy is integrated into Windows 10, changing its default language affects some Windows programs as well.
- Press the Windows key, type Regional & language settings, and press Enter.
- In the window that appears, click the icon.
- Type a language to add or select one from the list.
- After you select a language, you are asked to pick a region.
- You should now see the new language in the Languages section.
- Click the new language and select the button.
- In the window that opens, under Language options, click the button.
- Once the new language is downloaded, return to the previous screen.
- Click the new language again, and then click the Set as default button.
- Log out and back in to Windows or restart your computer to display the new language.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click the icon.
- Select Internet options from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the window that opens, under the General tab, click the button.
- In the Language Preference window, click the button.
- In the Language window that appears, near the middle, click Add a language.
- Select a new language from the Add languages window, then click the button.
- When you're taken back to the Languages window, click your new language. When it turns blue, click Options on the right side.
- Select Download and install language pack.
- Click Options again and then select Make this the primary language.
- Log out and back into Windows or restart your computer to display the new language in Internet Explorer.
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, click the Apple icon to open the Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
- Click the Language and region icon in the System Preferences window.
- In the Language & Region menu, under Preferred languages, click the + sign at the bottom.
- In the drop-down menu, select a language, and then click the Add button.
- You should be prompted to switch to the new language. If not, click-and-drag the new language to the top of the menu on the previous screen (shown in step 3).
- Click the Restart Now button for the new language settings to take full effect.
- Open the Opera browser.
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, click the button.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- In the window that appears, on the left side, make sure Browser is selected.
- In the Languages section, under Select user interface language, click the blue down arrow and select your preferred language.
- The newly-selected language is displayed upon restarting the Opera browser.
- How to change your browser's default search engine.
- How to change my browser's homepage.
- How to change the theme of your Internet browser.
- How to change the font size in my browser.
- How to reset default settings in an Internet browser.
- How to change the default language in Google Drive.
- See the cache and history definitions for further information about each of these terms.
- Internet browser help and support.