How to change the default language of an Internet browser
By default, the language in an Internet browser is regional; wherever you are in the world, your browser will display the language that is predominantly spoken there. However, some individuals speak one or more languages in addition to their native tongue and prefer one over the other. To change the default language displayed in an Internet browser, make a selection from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the icon.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Settings.
- In the next window, scroll to the bottom and click .
- Scroll down to the Languages section and click the down arrow on the right side of the Language box.
- In the menu that appears, click the link.
- In the next screen, click the checkbox next to one or more language(s) (A) and then the Add button (B).
- Your newly selected languages should appear in the Language menu. To choose one, click the icon to the right of the language and then check the box next to Display Google Chrome in this language.
- You can click Relaunch or close and re-open your Chrome browser to display the new language.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click the in the upper-left corner of the browser window.
- Select from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Under the Languages and Appearance section click the button.
- In the Window that appears, click the arrow on the right side of the box (A) that says Select a language to add... and then click the button (B).
- Click the newly selected language (A) and then click the OK button (B).
- You'll see the new language when you restart your browser.
Note: As Microsoft Edge is integrated into Windows 10, changing its default language will affect some Windows programs as well.
- Press the Windows key, type Regional & language settings, and then press Enter.
- In the Window that appears, click the icon.
- You may type in a language to add or select from the list.
- After you select a language, you'll be asked to pick a region.
- You should now see the new language under the Languages section.
- Click the new language and select the button.
- In the screen that appears, under Language options, click the button.
- Once the new language has been downloaded, return to the previous screen.
- Click the new language again and then the Set as default button.
- Log out and back into Windows or Restart your computer to display the new language.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click the icon.
- Select Internet options from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the window that opens, under the General tab, click the button.
- In the Language Preference window, click the button.
- In the Language window that appears, near the middle, click Add a language.
- Select a new language from the Add languages window, then click the button.
- When you're taken back to the Languages window. Click your new language. When it turns blue, click options on the right side.
- Select Download and install language pack.
- Click Options again and then select Make this the primary language.
- Log out and back into Windows or restart your computer to display the new language in Internet Explorer.
- Open System Preferences from the dock at the bottom of the desktop.
- In the Personal section, click the Language & Text icon.
- In the menu that appears, drag your preferred language to the top.
- Click the Apple icon in the upper-left hand corner of the screen and select Log out (username)...
- Your preferred language will display upon signing back into your computer.
- Open the Opera browser.
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, click the button.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- In the window that appears, on the left side, make sure Browser is selected.
- In the Languages section, under Select user interface language, click the blue down arrow and select your preferred language.
- The newly selected language will display upon restarting the Opera browser.
- How to set or change default search engine.
- How can I change my browser's home page?
- How to change the size of fonts in your browser.
- How to restore default settings in an Internet browser.
- How to change the default language in Google Drive.
- See the cache and history definitions for further information about each of these terms.
- Internet browser help and support.