How to add or update a table of contents in Microsoft Word
A table of contents helps readers know what information is contained in a document, and where it is located. In Microsoft Word, a table of contents can also allow a reader to jump to a specific section of a document by clicking on a header. To add or update a table of contents in your Word document, select from the links below to view the appropriate steps.
Add a new table of contents
- Click on a page in the document where you want the table of contents added.
- Click on the References tab in the ribbon.
- In the Table of Contents section, click the Table of Contents option.
- In the dialog box or pop-down window, select one of the available table of contents layouts to insert it to the current page of the document.
Tip: In step 4, select the Custom Table of Contents option to customize the layout.
Update an existing table of contents
- Locate and click on the table of contents in the document.
- Right-click on the table of contents and select Update Field in the pop-up menu.
- In the Update Table of Contents window, select the Update entire table option and click the button.