How to add or update a table of contents in Microsoft Word
A table of contents helps readers know what information is contained in a document, and where it is located. In Microsoft Word, a table of contents can also allow a reader to jump to a specific section of a document by clicking on a header. To add or update a table of contents in your Word document, select from the links below to view the appropriate steps.
Add a new table of contents
- Click on a page in the document where you want the table of contents added.
- Click on the References tab in the ribbon.
- In the Table of Contents section, click the Table of Contents option.
- In the dialog box or pop-down window, select one of the available table of contents layouts to insert it to the current page of the document.
In step 4, select the Custom Table of Contents option to customize the layout.
Update an existing table of contents
- Locate and click on the table of contents in the document.
- Right-click on the table of contents and select Update Field in the pop-up menu.
- In the Update Table of Contents window, select the Update entire table option and click the button.
- How to insert a page break in Microsoft Word.
- How to delete a page break in Microsoft Word.
- How to insert and display a page number on a document.
- How to track changes in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- How to copy data in Microsoft Excel to Microsoft Word.
- How to add a header or footer in a Microsoft Word document.
- Microsoft Word help and support.