How to enable or disable Airplane Mode
When you enable the Airplane Mode or flight mode on your computer, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader, the device's Wi-Fi and cellular communications are disabled. It's called "Airplane Mode" because airlines often require passengers to turn off computers, phones, tablets, and other electronic devices while the plane is taking off. This precaution is taken to prevent device signals from interfering with the airplane's instruments.
However, Airplane Mode is also useful anytime you want to conserve your device's battery. If you're doing something that doesn't require Internet or cellular access, such as playing an offline game or taking notes, Airplane Mode can extend your battery life. Make sure to turn off Airplane Mode later, to reconnect to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
To toggle Airplane Mode, follow the steps below that correspond to your device.
If you're using a laptop computer, follow these steps to toggle Airplane Mode.
- In the Windows notification area, at the bottom-right of the desktop, right-click the Wi-Fi icon. If your laptop is in Airplane mode, right-click the airplane icon instead.
- In the pop-up menu, click the Open Network & Internet settings option.
- In the Settings window, click the Airplane mode option in the left navigation pane.
- In the Airplane mode section, click the toggle switch to turn Airplane mode on or off.
Apple laptops do not have an Airplane Mode option. If you are using a laptop with macOS, you need to disable Wi-Fi on the laptop instead.
Android smartphone or tablet
If you're using an Android smartphone or tablet, follow these steps to toggle Airplane Mode.
- From the device's home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen using two fingers.
- On the Quick Settings screen, tap the Airplane Mode option to toggle it on or off.
- Access the Settings utility.
- On the Settings screen, tap the Network & Internet option.
- On the Network & Internet screen, tap the toggle switch to the right of the Airplane Mode option to turn it on or off. The icon turns blue (or your theme's color) when enabled, and returns to the default grey when disabled.
iPhone or iPad
- From the device's home screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen or swipe down from the top-right (iPhone X or higher).
- Tap the airplane icon to turn Airplane Mode on or off. The icon turns orange when enabled, and returns to its default hue when disabled.
- Access the Settings utility.
- On the Settings screen, tap the toggle switch to the right of the Airplane Mode option to turn it on or off.
Kindle or another e-reader
If you're using a Kindle or another e-reader device, follow these steps to toggle Airplane Mode.
- Access the e-reader's home screen.
- Look for a Settings option or an icon that looks like a gear and tap that option or icon.
- Find and tap the Airplane Mode option or an airplane icon. When enabled or on, the Airplane Mode option does not have a slash through it. When disabled or off, the Airplane Mode option has a slash through it.