How to find and remove duplicate values in Excel
When working with a spreadsheet that has a lot of data, finding duplicate values by looking at each cell can be very time consuming and difficult. In Microsoft Excel, a feature is available to identify and highlight duplicate values. It makes it easy to find duplicates and saves you a lot of time.
Microsoft Excel also includes a feature to quickly remove duplicate values in a spreadsheet, allowing you to build a unique list of values.
To learn how to find and remove duplicates in an Excel spreadsheet, click a link below and follow the provided instructions.
Find duplicate values in an Excel spreadsheet
To find and highlight duplicate values in Microsoft Excel 2007 and later, follow the steps below.
- Select the range of cells in which you want to find duplicate values.
- On the Home tab in the Ribbon, click the Conditional Formatting option.
- In the drop-down menu, click the Highlight Cells Rules option.
- Click the Duplicate Values menu option.
The duplicate values in the selected range of cells will be highlighted in color, making it easy to identify them.
Remove duplicate values in an Excel spreadsheet
To remove duplicate values in Microsoft Excel 2007 and later, follow the steps below.
- Select the range of cells in which you want to remove duplicate values.
- On the Data tab in the Ribbon, click the Remove Duplicates option.
- In the Remove Duplicates window, make sure the correct column is displayed and checked where the selected cells are located and click OK.
- A confirmation window is displayed, letting you know how many duplicate values were removed and how many unique values remain.
The duplicate values in the selected cells are removed, leaving a unique set of values.