How to create a master password for your browser
Passwords are a great way to protect your private information. That being said, using the same password for every site can leave you vulnerable, and trying to remember many different ones can be difficult. Fortunately, some browsers allow the use of a master password. That is to say one password that is not cached, that can log you into any of your accounts. To learn how to create a master password, select your preferred browser from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store.
- On the homepage, in the upper-left corner, you'll see a search box.
- In the Search the store text box, type LastPass.
- Look for LastPass: Free Password Manager, and click the button.
- In the prompt, click Add extension.
- In the upper-right corner of the browser window, where your extensions are kept, click the LastPass icon.
- Click Create an account near the bottom of the prompt that appears.
- Enter an e-mail address and click the CREATE AN ACCOUNT button.
- Enter a master password (A), enter it again to confirm it (B), create a password hint (C), then click the NEXT button (D).
- Once your account is created, follow the prompts to get into the LastPass site.
- Access your password vault and follow the instructions to start adding login passwords.
- Open the Firefox browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the browser window, click the open menu icon.
- Select Logins and Passwords from the drop-down menu.
- In the upper-right corner, click the icon.
- Select Options from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Logins and Passwords section, check the box next to Use a master password.
- In the prompt that appears, enter a new password (A), re-enter the new password (B), then click OK (C).
- Once you've finished, a prompt that says Master Password successfully changed is displayed.
- How to add extensions or add-ons to your browser.
- What is a safe way to remember my passwords?
- How do I change my username or password?
- How to change a Google account password.
- Control your passwords between computers and devices.
- Help and information on computer passwords.
- Internet browser help and support.