An Android launcher is a part of the operating system that controls the home screen on an Android device. It is responsible for displaying installed applications. When using an Android smartphone or tablet, third-party launchers can be installed, completely changing the GUI (graphical user interface) on the home screen of the device. For example, many launchers can be installed which allow users to customize the icon size, page transitions, and icon packs.
Popular launchers include Nova, Lawnchair, and Microsoft Launcher.
How to install a new launcher
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Find the third-party launcher app you want to use.
- Install the app by tapping the Get button or purchasing it.
- Open the app by selecting Open on the Play Store page or finding it in your app drawer.
- In the launcher app, follow the instructions to enable the launcher.
- Press the home button, or perform the home gesture.
- Select the new launcher in the popup menu.
- Select Always to keep using this launcher.