Bang may refer to any of the following:
1. A bang is slang used to describe the exclamation mark. The exclamation mark "!" is a punctuation mark found on the 1 key on a standard United States QWERTY keyboard.
Where is the bang (exclamation) key on the keyboard?
Below is a computer keyboard with the exclamation key highlighted.
How do I create the "!" symbol?
Creating the "!" symbol on a U.S. keyboard
Creating the "!" symbol on a smartphone or tablet
How is an exclamation mark used with a computer?
The picture below is an example of where you may see exclamation marks in Microsoft Windows. As can be seen, there are five exclamation marks on five devices listed in the Windows Device Manager. These exclamation marks indicate errors with these hardware devices.
How else is the exclamation mark used with a computer?
- In programming and scripting languages, the exclamation mark is used as "not." For example, "!=" also means not equal. See our operator definition for further information.
- Used to help identify a nonexecutable statement.
- A shebang to help scripts, such as Perl scripts, to identify the location of Perl.
2. Bang is also used to describe the physical process of hitting an object, often the keyboard. For example, a person may get frustrated with their computer and bang their hands on the keyboard.