Updated: 12/20/2017 by Computer Hope
Originally developed by Microsoft for Windows XP, ClearType is a technology that enables users to increase the overall quality of all fonts displayed on their computer. To enable ClearType in Windows, follow the steps below.
Windows Vista, 7, and 10 users
- Click Start
- In the search and run box, type cttune.exe and press Enter.
- The Windows ClearType Text Tuner opens. It will resemble the picture shown here.
Windows XP users
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, double-click Display.
- In Display properties, click the Appearance tab.
- In Appearance, click the Effects button.
- In Effects, check the option for Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts, and select ClearType.