Alternatively referred to as cyberwarfare, cyberwar is a term used to describe a fictional future conflict that takes place in the virtual world, or over the Internet. Below are some examples of what many believe could happen during cyberwar, cyberterror, or a cyberattack.
Examples of cyberwar
- Attacks on government or military websites to gain confidential information, disrupt, disable, or creating backdoors for future attacks.
- Attacks on an individual or collection of websites that prevent them from being accessed.
- Attack on a news site or other information site to spread fake news about events not happening to cause small breakouts of false hysteria.
- Attacks on major utilities such as power, water, gas, etc. causing disruptions or complete outages.
- Attacks on financial institutions, banks, stock trading, etc. causing disruptions, outages, or false information.
- Attacks on major backbones, routers, or other sections of the Internet causing disruptions in all Internet traffic.