Also known as a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle), a drone is a flying device that is controlled remotely by a user. Drones fly using multiple propellers mounted on arms that extend from the center. Most drones have cameras mounted on them to capture photos or record videos from the air. Drones can be piloted via a proprietary controller or a smartphone app.
Uses of drones
Today, drones are commonly used for the following tasks:
- Capturing aerial stock photos and videos.
- Filming movie scenes and other commercial footage.
- Surveying and protecting dangerous territory in war zones.
- Monitoring activity on private property.
- Searching for missing people in remote locations.
- Competitive drone-based spectator events, like the Drone Racing League.
- Product delivery via drone is being tested by e-commerce companies, like Google and Amazon.