A hard copy is anything that has been printed on paper. Hard copies allow data to be read without the need of a computer and are often required when someone needs to sign a document.
How is a hard copy made on a computer?
How is a hard copy put back into a computer?
To create a digital version of a hard copy (soft copy), an optical scanner is typically used to either scan and create an image of the page or uses OCR to read the page and input the information into a file where it can be modified.
Why would someone need to make a hard copy?
- Need a paper that can be signed.
- Needed for someone who doesn't have access to a computer or digital device.
- Need a hard copy of a report that can be completed and graded at school.
- Need a print out for legal filing or taxes that require a hard copy.
- Need to create a hard copy of a receipt or proof of purchase or completed service.