Install may refer to any of the following:
1. When referring to computer hardware, install is a term used to describe the process of physically connecting a component to a computer. For general hardware components like RAM or peripherals, it is possible for anyone including the end-user to install hardware. However, more intricate parts (e.g. an IC) that require soldering or special equipment needs either another computer, technician, or engineer to install.
2. When referring to computer software, install, installation, or install.exe is the process or creating and moving all of the necessary files to run a software program on a computer. Typically an install is started by running the install or setup file on a disc. However, can also be done by downloading a program and running the install file.
- How to install a software program.
- How to run a computer software program.
- How can I tell when Windows was installed on a computer.