Initially introduced on August 7, 2006, the Mac Pro is a professional, high-end line of Apple desktop computers that run the macOS. Unlike other computers in the Mac lineup, the Mac Pro is not an All-in-One computer, which means it requires an independent display. Mac Pro computers have the best specifications offered by the company and are sold at the highest price point.
The latest Mac Pro starts at $5999, and reaches $45,000 with all the upgrades, including the new monitor and stand (details below).
The latest Mac Pro, announced on June 3, 2019, features the following base specifications, which are upgradable via proprietary modules:
- Intel Xeon W-3223 8-core processor (upgradable to a 2.5 GHz 28-core processor).
- 32 GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable up to 1.5 TB).
- AMD Radeon Pro 580X GPU (upgradable to four AMD Radeon Pro Vega IIs).
- 256 GB flash storage (upgradable to up to 4 TB).
Versions of the Mac Pro
Each version of the Mac Pro is referred to by the year of its release.
- 2006 Mac Pro
- 2008 Mac Pro
- 2009 Mac Pro
- 2012 Mac Pro
- 2013 Mac Pro
- 2019 Mac Pro
Mac Pro accessories
- Pro Display XDR - A 32-inch, 6K resolution monitor unveiled in 2019 with a $4,999 price point.
- Pro Stand - A rotating, swiveling stand for the Pro Display monitor with a $999 price point.