In online games, especially MMORPG games, a player can receive a permanent ban, or permaban, preventing them from being able to play the game.
Reasons for a permaban
Permabans can be issued to a player's account for a number of different reasons, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Cheating in any fashion, including the use of an exploit.
- Using a bot, also referred to as "botting."
- Using explicit language or making sexual or racial remarks.
- Selling in-game currency or items for real world currency.
- Any other actions found to be in violation by the terms & conditions agreement.
When a permaban is issued, it renders that account locked and unplayable. In the most severe cases, or if the game does not require an account, the ban may be issued in such a way that it blocks the player's IP address. It may be possible for a player to appeal the issuance of a permaban by contacting the company directly. However, in most cases, the permaban (as the name suggests) is permanent.