POS may refer to any of the following:
1. Short for packet over SONET, see the SONET definition for further information.
2. Short for point-of-sale, POS is the use of computer technology to record all pertinent data about an item, normally by scanning the items UPC (universal product code). When a scanner reads the code, it can display the items price, record the item as sold, and help count the amount of that item.
3. POS is short for Proof-of-Stake, see our Proof-of-Stake for further information.
4. Short for piece of s#!^, POS is slang used to describe a poor product or service.
5. Shorthand for parent over shoulder, POS is a term often used by teens and children in chat rooms as an indication that a parent may be watching them.
A child may use the "POS" term in chat to alert others in a chat that a parental authority figure may be watching, and nothing that may alert them should be said.