Updated: 01/18/2023 by Computer Hope
R may refer to any of the following:
1. R is an abbreviation for the R programming language.
2. R is a keyboard key used with the keyboard shortcuts Alt+R, Command+R, and Ctrl+R.
3. The letter "r" is also chat slang for "are." For example, "r u serious" in chat is short for "are you serious."
4. With an escape sequence and in regular expressions, \r is a carriage return.
5. With Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs, "R" is the eighteenth column of a spreadsheet. To reference the first cell in the column, use "R1."
6. In Adobe Photoshop, R is a shortcut to select the rotate tool.
7. R is the SI-derived symbol of ronna, when using a lowercase r, it's a quecto.
8. In the phonetic alphabet, "R" is often pronounced as "Romeo."
9. With days of the week, R is an abbreviation for Thursday when only one character space is available.
10. R is the eighteenth letter of the English alphabet. The letter "R" comes after "Q" and is followed by the letter "S." To create a capitalized "R," press Shift and R at the same time.
With U.S. QWERTY keyboards, the "R" key is on the top row, to the right of "E" and left of the "T" key. See our keyboard page for a visual example of all keyboard keys.
In ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange), the uppercase "R" is "082" in decimal (01010010 in binary). The lowercase "r" is "114" in decimal (01110010 in binary).
Doing the Alt code Alt+82 creates a capital "R" and Alt+114 creates a lowercase "r" character.
The number 7 on a phone keypad creates a "R" on a US phone.
Chat terms, Computer abbreviations, Letter