In general, slow refers to anything that takes a long time to complete. With computers, there are dozens of different things that can make a computer slow. Below is a list of the documents on Computer Hope that relate to a slow computer.
What makes a computer slow?
There are many reasons that a computer may be slow, or become sluggish over time.
Anti-virus software - While it can be beneficial, anti-virus software that runs constantly can eat up a lot of system resources. We recommend scheduling scans at certain times, either when you'll be away from your computer or sleeping, rather than having the program on all the time.
Too many programs - Each program users install generally tend to eat up some system resources whether or not they are in use. The solution here: uninstall programs that you seldomly use.
Too many startup programs - Every time you boot up Windows, there are programs that start automatically. You can cancel these processes by disabling them, thus saving you system resources.
- How to identify which startup programs are safe to disable.
- How to remove TSRs and startup programs.
Documents relating to a slow computer
- How can I fix a slow computer?
- Why is my Internet connection so slow?
- My Windows computer boots up slow.
- Why is my online game so slow?
- My computer is slow after installing an antivirus.
- What makes a computer fast and powerful?