A technique used in computer games based on of the Quake engine that allows some players to move faster than others if done correctly. Titles based on of the Quake engine include Doom 3, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Quake 4, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Unlike speed hacks, strafe jumping is not cheating.
How to strafe jump
- Press the key to move forward.
- While holding the key to move forward, simultaneously press the jump and right or left strafe keys.
- While your character is in the air, move your mouse slightly to look in the same direction as you pressed (right/left).
- When your character lands, jump and repeat steps two and three.
Strafe jump tips
- To strafe jump you must be pressing the strafe key, not the turn key.
- Your character must jump the instant it has landed; if you walk or run at all before jumping, you will slow down.
- Practice makes perfect!
A great map to practice strafe jumping in Quake 3 is Strafe Jump Training 2 by Noskey, a Defrag mod map.