Tools may refer to any of the following:
1. When referring to software, tools (also know as toolkits) are a set of basic components and accessories that help software developers create programs in a more efficient manner.
2. With hardware, tools are what enable a person to install, remove, or perform other actions on the components within their computer.
Tools to have when working on a computer
The following list of tools is in order of importance, according to our opinion. Ideally, any technician that goes onsite to repair or troubleshoot computers should have most if not all, of the below tools. However, most situations do not require all of these tools at the same time, so we have broken the list into sections to help identify the tools you need for each job.
Must-have computer tools
- ESD strap or another ESD protection device.
- Screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, and Torx screwdriver or bit.
Tip: When purchasing any screwdriver try to avoid any screwdriver that uses magnets to hold in the tips and instead purchase screwdrivers that use ball bearings to hold in the tips.
Computer hardware replacement and repair tools.
- Antistatic mat.
- Precision screwdriver set.
- Compressed air.
- Extra parts (e.g., power cable, network cable, keyboard, and mouse).
- Empty antistatic bags.
- Lint free cloth.
- Low-wattage soldering iron, wick, and reel.
- Wire cutter and stripper.
- Tweezers or parts retriever.
- Post card.
- Temperature gun.
- Heat gun.
Computer software troubleshooting.
- USB jump drive with troubleshooting utilities and UBCD.
- Blank CDs (in case you need to make a restore CD or copy other information).
Other helpful computer tools and equipment.
- AA and AAA batteries (for wireless mouse and keyboard).
- Crimping tool.
- Portable vacuum cleaner.
Computer cleaning tools.
See our computer cleaning tools section on our cleaning page for a list of tools for cleaning your computer and computer hardware.
There are also computer tool kits (not to be confused with toolkit, which is defined above) available that have all the necessary items for computer repair. However, most technicians find that a good screwdriver and some of the previously mentioned components are enough for most repair jobs.