Updated: 10/17/2017 by Computer Hope

Type ballOfficially known as a type element and sometimes referred to as a "golf ball," a typeball is a sphere that contains raised characters on its surface that strike an ink ribbon on a typewriter that was first introduced with the IBM Selectric typewriter on July 27, 1961. In the picture is an example of a typeball used in a typewriter.

These devices are used in older typewriters and were revolutionary for their time because of how easy they were to remove. By being able to remove the typeball the user could clean and repair the typewriter easier and even change between fonts.

Hardware terms, Impact printer, Typewriter