Updated: 07/06/2021 by Computer Hope
W may refer to any of the following:
1. The Linux w command is used to view a list of users currently logged in to the system. See the w command page for a full explanation syntax, and examples.
2. W is an abbreviation used for width. For example, a mouse pad size could be mentioned as being "200 mm W x 240mm H" (200 millimeters wide by 240 millimeters high).
3. In gaming, when using the WASD keys to control a character or another object, the "W" is the same as the up arrow key. Also, in gaming "W" (pronounced as dub) is an abbreviation for "win."
4. W is a key used with the keyboard shortcuts Alt+W, Command+W, and Ctrl+W.
5. A "w" followed by a forward slash is shorthand for with. For example, "burger w/ fries" is the same as "burger with fries."
6. With a regular expression, \w matches any one word character ([a-zA-Z_0-9]). When capitalized, \W matches any one non-word character.
7. With Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs, "W" is the twenty-third column of a spreadsheet. To reference the first cell in the column, you'd use "W1."
8. In the phonetic alphabet, "W" is often pronounced as "whiskey."
9. W is the twenty-third letter of the English alphabet. The letter "W" comes after "V" and is followed by the letter "X." To create a capitalized "W" press the Shift key W at the same time.
With U.S. QWERTY keyboards, the "W" key is on the top row, to the right of "Q" and left of the "E" key. See our keyboard page for a visual example of all keyboard keys.
In ASCII the uppercase "W" is "087" in decimal (01010111 in binary). The lowercase "w" is "119" in decimal (01110111 in binary).
Chat terms, Computer abbreviations, Letter