Windows Embedded is a group of Microsoft operating systems designed to be used and run on embedded computer systems. The embedded computer systems that run these operating systems include small-footprint, real-time devices and Point of Sales systems like kiosks. Only OEM (original equipment manufacturer) system builders can obtain these Windows Embedded operating systems.
Windows Embedded family
- Windows Embedded Compact (previously known as Windows CE, first released in 1996)
- Windows Embedded Standard (an updated version of Windows XP Embedded)
- Windows Embedded POSReady
- Windows Embedded Automotive (for use in vehicles)
- Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 (announced in January 2011 and compatible with Windows Mobile 6.5).