Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Alain Glavieux
Born: July 4, 1949
Death: September 24, 2004 (Age: 55)
- French professor in electrical engineering at École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications de Bretagne.
- He was the co-inventor with Claude Berrou and Punya Thitimajshima of a groundbreaking coding scheme called turbo codes, a new family of error-correction codes that forever changed the field of digital communications.
- Glavieux has written or co written, more than 30 papers and the book Communications Numeriques-Introduction.
Honors and awards
- IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal (2003).
- French Academy of Sciences Grand Prix France Telecom award (2003).
- Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation from the IEEE Information Theory Society.