Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Alonzo Church
Born: June 14, 1903 in Washington, D.C., USA
Death: August 11, 1995 (Age: 92)
Computer related contributions
- Mathematician and logician whose work gave birth to the field of theoretical computer science.
- With his student Alan Turing, proposed the Church-Turing thesis about the nature of computable functions.
- Introduction to Mathematical Logic, 1956
- The Calculi of Lambda-Conversion, 1941
- A Bibliography of Symbolic Logic, 1936
Honors and awards
- Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc) degrees from Case Western University, Princeton University, and SUNY Buffalo
"I never had any mathematical conversations with anybody, because there was no one else in my field."