Updated: 12/20/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Bob (Boe) Overton Evans
Born: August 19, 1927 in Grand Island, Nebraska
Death: September 2, 2004 (Age: 77)
Computer related contributions
- Computer pioneer and corporate executive at IBM (International Business Machines) known for the IBM System/360, a computer system and technologies which revolutionized the data processing industry.
- Led the development of compatible computers that changed the industry.
- Persuaded IBM’s chairman, Thomas J. Watson Jr., to discontinue the company’s development of incompatible computers and pursue the development of a single product line of general-purpose, compatible computers.
Honors and awards
- Inducted into the Hall of Fellows of the Computer History Museum (2004)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineers’ Computer Pioneer Award (1991)
- National Medal of Technology (1985)
- National Academy of Engineering (1970)