Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Charles (Charlie) William Bachman
Born: December 11, 1924 in Manhattan, Kansas
Computer related contributions
- American computer scientist known for his work in the area of databases.
- Joined General Electric in 1960 where he developed the Integrated Data Store (IDS), one of the first database management systems.
- In 1983 he founded Bachman Information Systems, where he developed Computer-Aided Software Engineering (CASE) products.
- The Impact of Structured Data Throughout Computer-Based Information Systems (1980)
- The Role Data Model Approach to Data Structures (1980)
- Toward a More Complete Reference Model of Computer-Based Information Systems (1982)
- The Structuring Capabilities of the Molecular Data Model (1983)
- A Case for Adaptable Programming (1987)
- A Personal Chronicle: Creating Better Information Systems, with Some Guiding Principles (1989)
Honors and awards
- ACM Turing Award in 1973 for "his outstanding contributions to database technology".
- Elected as a Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society in 1977