Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: David Hilbert
Born: January 23, 1862, in Königsberg or Wehlau, Province of Prussia (today Znamensk, Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia)
Death: February 14, 1943 (Age: 81)
- German mathematician. Known for discovery of invariant theory, the axiomatization of geometry, Hilbert's basis theorem, Hilbert's axioms, Hilbert's problems, Hilbert's program, and Einstein–Hilbert action.
- Devised the theory of Hilbert spaces, one of the foundations of functional analysis.
- Recognized as one of the founders of proof theory and mathematical logic.
- One of the first to distinguish between mathematics and metamathematics.
Honors and awards
- Bolyai Prize (1910).
- Lobachevsky Prize (1903).